Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Once Burned by Jeaniene Frost

It has been a very long time for me.  There have been so many books I've been excited about that I haven't taken the time to do much of anything else.  One of those books was Once Burned by Jeaniene Frost.  I had been awaiting that one with nervousness and excitement.  I loved Vlad in the Night Huntress books, but would I love him when we got to know him a little better?  Would it be awkward being in this world, but without too much of two of my favorite characters?  I had this ambivalence with the Night Huntress World books too.  I liked them, so I was hoping to at least "like" Once Burned.


I was not disappointed at all!  We didn't see as much of Vlad's sense of humor or aloofness, but more of his dark side.  He is a firm leader with no tolerance for threats to what he considers his.  He takes his position very, very seriously.


In this first book of the series, we are introduced to Leila.  She is a human with a very powerful gift.  Well, I will call it a gift, but it is something that has made Leila's life hell.  There is an enemy of Vlad's that wants to use Leila's powers against Vlad.  The question will be, does Leila choose to help this enemy or will she look to help Vlad.


Leila is a very powerful woman.  She has got some skills that make her a really valuable ally.  My question is, does she live up to someone I think that Vlad should be with.  I'm on the fence with that.  I think that Vlad should be with someone that brings out the fun in him.  Thankfully we have more books coming up for them that will hopefully let me connect a little more with Leila.


All in all, I really enjoyed Once Burned.  The ending action was intense and had me holding my breath a little.  Always a good sign!  It's the first in the series so get in on it now!  If you've read it already, comment it up!  I want to hear what you thought!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to talk with my readers, please leave a comment so we can talk books!